Modest Growth For Life Insurance Sales Predicted, Low Interest Rates A Concern
ATLANTA, Jan. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Life insurance executives surveyed by LOMA for its 2013 Forecast are cautiously optimistic about sales this year, with several expecting a modest growth of around 3 percent. However, the executives say low interest rates are a concern.
"In terms of profitability, the industry will continue to be challenged by the low interest rate environment, as compressed margins will continue to present challenges and put pressure on earnings," said one senior executive.
The executives gave their views on other issues, such as technology, customer service and structural change:
- They said new technologies such as social media are changing consumer interactions and are here to stay. Mobile technology creates improved customer connections and will play an important role in the industry. And data analytics is beginning to be seen as having potential for life insurers.
- Customer service is also seen as a key factor. As consumers become familiar with cutting- edge service in other industries, they will expect similar service from insurers, one executive noted.
- The executives do not foresee major structural change in 2013, but some mergers are expected. One official said he expects some carriers will exit certain markets to focus on core offerings.
The 2013 Life Insurance Forecast is published in the January issue of LOMA's Resource magazine. The compete Forecast may be read on the Resource page of the LOMA web site, http://www.loma.org/research/resource.aspxAbout LOMA: Established in 1924, with 1,200 plus member companies in over 80 countries, LOMA is committed to a business partnership with its world-wide members in the insurance and financial services industry to improve their management and operations through quality employee development, research, information sharing, and related products and services. To find out more about LOMA and the learning opportunities it offers, visit LOMA's Web site at www.loma.org SOURCE LOMA
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV