Story updated with confirmation of the layoff numbers.
The cuts amount to 6% of the total workforce within its institutional securities group and infrastructure support. About half of the cuts will be in the U.S. The layoffs will be across the board, though there will be a focus on senior employees.
The downsizing effort is in addition to layoffs announced last year, when the bank reduced its staff by 7%.Banks are continuing to slash jobs as they focus on expenses in a lackluster revenue environment. Citigroup (C) notably said it would lay off 11,000 workers or 4% of its workforce, in an early move by new CEO Michael Corbat to improve efficiencies in the business. Bank of America (BAC) is in the midst of a cost-cutting plan that involves laying off 30,000 workers. Analysts have welcomed banks' efforts to reduce expenses, evidenced by the slew of buy calls on Citigroup following its layoff announcement. Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman has himself been a critic of Wall Street's hefty compensation packages and has warned employees that the days of excessive pay are over. Shares of Morgan Stanley were off by 0.3%. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV