Kass: The Consensus Is Complacent
This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 7:31 a.m. EST on Jan. 9.
NEW YORK (Real Money) -- My general impression is that the consensus of both the technical crowd and the fundamental crowd is upbeat after the first week of trading in 2013.
It is encouraging to technicians that the indices have held onto most of the gains following the fiscal cliff fiasco -- and there is the lame and random January indicator, which I personally give almost zero predictive ability.
Fundamentalists see an upbeat backdrop as they cite improving economic momentum in the U.S., Europe and China. They throw out the first quarter of 2013 and talk about "cliff fatigue." Some even say it's OK if we end up without an agreement on spending and entitlement cuts. The bulls just want the government out of the way -- and it will be business as usual.From my perch, I disagree with both. The price charts are a picture of what has happened in the past and don't indicate with precision what will happen in the future. Fundamentally, too, as I described in my "15 Surprises for 2013," there is less than meets the eye to the generally upbeat impression that momentum is gaining. I think it odd that few are incorporating the impact of the Jan. 1 tax hikes on personal consumption. And I believe the multiplier applied to those tax-rate hikes is being underestimated. Importantly, I don't think the bullish fundamentalists recognize the dependency and lack of sustainability in fiscal and monetary policy or that our budget is out of control and zero interest rates should not be considered a permanent condition. Important, to me, is that the outlook for corporate profits is weakening.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV