In an interview with Reuters at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Deutsche Telekom CEO John Legere says that a T-Mobile USA iPhone will be available within the next three to four months.
While giving few additional details, Legere said that the deal with Apple will be announced sooner rather than later. The exact quote was "in three to four months, as opposed to six to nine months".
The timing of the move may be pinned to another big announcement. T-Mobile is expected to announce the rollout of its own 4G, LTE network. In addition to being the last major cellular provider to offer an iPhone, it's also the last major provider to switch to LTE services.All this is dependent on the closing of the merger with MetroPCS (PCS) - also expected sometime in the second quarter. As you might guess, MetroPCS's LTE network is vital to the iPhone deal. The iPhone will be one of T-Mobile's first handsets to be sold without subsidies as part of the company's push to lower monthly service prices. Other carriers subsidize the initial purchase price of their phones with the difference being paid by subscribers over the life of the service contract. Legere told Reuters that he hopes the new phone and payment plan will help boost T-Mobile's market share as much as 5% or more in the near future. Get the latest news coming out of CES with TheStreet's live blog: --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV