BOSTON, Jan. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As they look forward to a new year, 70 percent of investors feel they are on track with their financial goals, with ten percent reporting they are actually ahead of schedule, according to a recent survey by John Hancock. About thirty percent admit they are behind schedule, but only seven percent say they are so far behind they are unlikely to catch up.
Asked what steps they have taken to help achieve their financial goals, most investors say they save a certain amount on a regular basis (59 percent). Nearly half reduced their spending as a way to succeed (45 percent). Four in ten calculated how much they would need to reach their goals (41 percent), and 40 percent consulted a financial professional for specific advice about their goals.
The findings are derived from the Q4 2012 John Hancock Investor Sentiment Survey, a quarterly poll of investors. The survey measures investors' feelings about the current economic climate and their evaluations of what represents a good or bad investment given the current environment. The poll also asks investors about their confidence in reaching key financial goals and likelihood of purchasing financial products and services.
More than half (52 percent) of respondents say they have a financial advisor. Of that group, 56 percent say the main reason why they choose to work with a professional financial advisor is that they believe the advisor can help them attain better investment returns. Others cite as their main reason wanting a more comprehensive financial plan or wanting to confirm that their financial decisions are on track (47 percent each). Thirty-seven percent of this group says they don't feel knowledgeable enough to manage their own investments. A quarter of investors say they work with an advisor because they lack the time to manage their investments (24 percent).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV