But, forget everybody else, on its own, the idea that Apple would use, as the WSJ calls it -- "a . . . less expensive body" with "a . . . shell made of polycarbonate plastic" for a "cheaper" iPhone, not the "aluminum housing" deployed for iPhone 5 should scare the hell out of you. It does me. That's something Steve Ballmer would do (just play with a Surface tablet at your local -- empty -- Microsoft retail store).
Even if "iPhone mini" follows "iPad mini" and hits market with quality parts, high-end construction and a premium price, I'm still scared. These are tweaks your neighbor could come up with -- you can get away with that only so many times.
This story, which is potentially a non-story, will develop. As such, we'll all have more to say.
At this point, I simply don't believe the details of the WSJ story. In fact, the whole thing sounds fishy, especially coming on the heels of the multi-colored iPhone rumor.Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs, but he sure as heck isn't stupid. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV