3. Regions Financial
Shares of Regions Financial (RF) of Birmingham, Ala., closed at $7.46 Monday, trading for 1.1 times tangible book value and for 9.6 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of 78 cents. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is 81 cents.
The shares returned 67% during 2012, after declining 38% in 2011.
Regions is scheduled to report its fourth-quarter results on Jan. 22, with analysts expecting a profit of 21 cents a share, matching the third-quarter result but improving from a 48-cent loss during the fourth quarter of 2011, when the company recorded $731 million goodwill impairment charge, as it prepared to sell its Morgan Keegan brokerage subsidiary to Raymond James Financial (RJF) for roughly $1.2 billion.
Regions completed the sale during the first quarter, when it also raised $900 million in common equity through a public offering of shares. The company then fully redeemed the $3.5 billion in preferred shares held by the U.S. Treasury for bailout assistance received in November 2008 through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TARP.JPMorgan analyst Vivek Juneja has a neutral rating on Regions, with a price target of $8.50, estimating the bank will post fourth-quarter earnings of 20 cents, with a 2013 EPS estimate of 81 cents, increasing to 85 cents in 2014. The analyst said on Dec. 14 that the company's "earnings should be driven primarily by large loan loss reserve releases, along with some further improvement in net interest margin and reduction in credit related expenses as
Interested in more on Regions Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV