10. M&T Bank
Shares of M&T Bank (MTB) of Buffalo, N.Y., closed at $102.46 Monday, trading for 2.4 tangible book value, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight, and for 12.5 times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of $8.21 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $8.89.
The shares returned 33% during 2012, following a 9% decline during 2011.
Based on a quarterly payout of 70 cents, the shares have a divided yield of 2.73%.
M&T in August announced a deal to acquire Hudson City Bancorp (HCBK) of Paramus, N.J., for $3.7 billion in cash and stock. Hudson City had $41.9 billion in total assets as of Sept. 30, with 135 branches in New York, New Jersey, and Fairfield County in Connecticut. The merger is expected to be completed during the second quarter.Analysts expect M&T to report fourth-quarter earnings of $2.17 a share, matching the bank's third-quarter bottom line, but increasing from $1.04 a share in the fourth quarter of 2011, when the bank reported several extraordinary items, including a $79 impairment charge related to its 20% stake in Bayview Lending Group, and another impairment charge of $25 million in mortgage-backed securities. KBW analyst Brian Klock on Dec. 13 upgraded M&T to an "Outperform" rating from "Market Perform," while raising his price target for the shares by two dollars to $111. Klock expects M&T to post fourth-quarter earnings of $2.15 a share, and estimates EPS of $8.45 in 2013, rising to $9.10 in 2014. The analyst said that "MTB is well positioned to offset NIM headwinds with expense controls, and we believe the HCBK merger will be very accretive and a catalyst for consensus estimates to move higher." MTB data by YCharts
Interested in more on M&T Bank? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV