The Cupertino, Calif.-based firm expects to report revenue of at least $3.6 billion in the three months through December, up from a previous forecast of about $3.5 billion, when it releases its full results later this month. Gross margins will be more than 27%, reflecting unit shipments of about 58 million, Seagate said. The company had previously predicted gross margins at the lower end of its long-term non-GAAP range of 27% to 32%.
Investors pushed up Seagate's shares 2.1% to $32.05 in extended trading. The company's stock closed down 0.3% during Tuesday's session.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters have predicted revenue of $3.53 billion and earnings of $1.23 a share.Seagate paid $1.1 billion in share redemptions and dividend payments during the quarter, according to a statement released after market close. This included a one-time acceleration of the firm's December 2012 quarterly dividend payment. The company's cash, cash equivalents, restricted cash and short-term investments totaled about $2 billion on Dec. 28, 2012. Seagate will report its full fiscal second-quarter results Jan. 28. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV