NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of aluminum producer Alcoa (AA) jumped in after-hours trades on Tuesday after the company said it expected to be in good position for 2013 on global demand growth in the metal.
Shares of the New York-based company were popping 19 cents, or 2%, to $9.32 after it reported fourth-quarter earnings of 6 cents a share on revenue of $5.9 billion. Concensus among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected 6 cents a share on $5.6 billion.
Earnings of the Dow Jones Industrial Average component was up from the year-ago loss of 3 cents a share, while revenue was slightly below the 2011 fiscal fourth-quarter report of $5.99 billion.
Shares of the company moved higher in after hours after the company appeared optimistic about global growth in demand of aluminum in 2013."We overcame volatile metal prices and global economic instability to deliver on our targets for the fourth year in a row. We enter 2013 in a strong position to maximize profitable growth," said Klaus Kleinfeld, chief executive officer of Alcoa. The company said it expected demand growth of 7%, which would be up from 6% in 2012. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV