Operating expenses for the first quarter 2013 totaled $824.2 million, a decrease of 9.4%, as compared to first quarter 2012. Excluding special items, operating expenses were $817.0 million, a decrease of 8.0%. This decrease was primarily attributable to a reduction in costs from restructuring activities, which contributed to the decline in admissions advisory headcount, rent expense and depreciation expense. Additionally, a portion of the decrease was related to variable expenses due to lower net revenue. The provision for uncollectible accounts receivable (“bad debt”) also declined 19.7% to $33.4 million, primarily due to lower enrollment, as well as improved collection rates for aged receivables, at University of Phoenix.
Balance Sheet and Cash Flow
As of November 30, 2012, cash and cash equivalents, excluding restricted cash, totaled $776 million compared to $1.3 billion as of August 31, 2012. The decrease was primarily due to $625.8 million used for payments on borrowings, including the payment of $615.0 million borrowed under the Company’s revolving credit facility, the Company’s $42.5 million cash payment for its purchase of the noncontrolling interest in Apollo Global and $27.5 million for capital expenditures. These items were partially offset by $210.1 million of cash provided by operations.Accounts receivable were $201.5 million as of November 30, 2012, compared to $198.3 million at August 31, 2012. Excluding accounts receivable and the related net revenue for Apollo Global, the Company’s days sales outstanding was 20 days as of November 30, 2012, as compared to 24 days as of November 30, 2011. Business Outlook The Company offers the following outlook for fiscal year 2013 based on the business trends observed during the first quarter 2013, as well as management’s current expectations of future trends.
- Net revenue of $3.65 – $3.75 billion; and
- Operating income of $500.0 – $550.0 million, excluding the impact of special items and restructuring and other charges.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV