Apollo Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: APOL) today reported financial results for the three months ended November 30, 2012, with revenue of $1.1 billion and diluted earnings per share of $1.18 per share, or $1.22 per share excluding special items.
“In the first quarter, we continued to execute on our strategy to differentiate University of Phoenix, diversify Apollo Group and to further optimize our operations,” said Apollo Group Chief Executive Officer Greg Cappelli. “We are rolling out new career-oriented tools for students, as well as working with leading companies to help them meet their needs to develop an educated workforce. We are committed to become the educator of choice to connect education to careers and believe this approach will position us for long-term success.”
First Quarter 2013 Results of Operations
- Net revenue for the first quarter 2013 was $1.1 billion compared to $1.2 billion in the first quarter 2012.
- University of Phoenix Degreed Enrollment was 319,700, a 14.3% decrease from the prior year first quarter, and New Degreed Enrollment was 54,100, a 15.1% decrease from the prior year first quarter.
- Operating income for the first quarter 2013 was $230.9 million, down 11.7%, compared to $261.7 million from the prior year first quarter.
- Income from continuing operations attributable to Apollo Group for the first quarter 2013 was $133.5 million, or $1.18 per share, compared to $147.5 million, or $1.13 per share in the first quarter 2012.
Results for the first quarter 2013 include restructuring and other charges of $24.1 million attributable to the Company’s optimization efforts and a $16.9 million credit for the reversal of charges associated with a securities class action lawsuit.Excluding the special items noted above, income from continuing operations for the first quarter 2013 was $137.9 million, or $1.22 per share, compared to income from continuing operations of $165.3 million, or $1.26 per share, for the first quarter 2012. (See the reconciliation of GAAP financial information to non-GAAP financial information in the tables section of this press release for first quarter 2013 and 2012 special items).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts