The announcement was made at the Consumers Electronics Show, currently underway in Las Vegas.
The 3D service will start small. Here in the U.S., Netflix will offer a few titles including Immortals, snowboarding documentary The Art of Flight, and a number of titles from 3net Studios (the Discovery (DISCA)/ Sony (SNE)/ IMAX (IMAX) joint venture) including the native, original 3D series African Wild, Scary Tales, and Live Fire.
Depending on member demand, Netflix will consider adding 3D titles and expanding availability to international markets.As for the Super HD half of the announcement, Netflix is somewhat vague. Its press release only states that Netflix Super HD is the highest quality video format offered by Netflix, providing an even better picture on 1080p HDTVs. It should soon be available through some of the company's worldwide Open Connect partners including Cablevision (CVC), Virgin Media, British Telecom (BT), Telmex, Telus (TU), TDC and GVT. Netflix says subscribers can check and see if its Internet service provider is part of Open Connect and will provide access to their new Super HD and (in the U.S. only) 3D services. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV