PALO ALTO, Calif., Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Lockheed Martin team, awarded a contract by NASA in 2007 to design and build the Solar Ultraviolet Imager (SUVI) for the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES)-R Series, has met the requirements of a Pre-Environmental Review (PER). The review was held in November at the Lockheed Martin Space Systems Advanced Technology Center (ATC) in Palo Alto by a group of multi-disciplinary experts from NASA and NOAA, as well as a number of independent reviewers. The SUVI instrument was built at the ATC under the management of the company's Civil Space Line of Business.
The Lockheed Martin SUVI instrument has met all requirements of the PER. The next major review will be the Pre-Ship or Pre-Storage Review in May 2013. The team is on plan for instrument delivery in Oct. 2013 to the Lockheed Martin Space Systems facility in Denver for integration with the spacecraft. The first GOES-R launch is scheduled for 2015.
"As a team we are honored to have passed this important milestone in the design and construction of the SUVI," said Mons Morrison, Lockheed Martin SUVI program manager. "We look forward to continuing our collaboration with NASA and NOAA to produce the best possible instrument that will make these crucial solar measurements, and to working side by side with our Lockheed Martin colleagues who are designing and building the GOES-R spacecraft."
The SUVI on the GOES-R satellites will provide the required solar observational capabilities that enable NOAA to monitor solar activity and to issue accurate real-time alerts when space weather may possibly affect the performance and reliability of space-borne and ground-based technological systems. Space weather can disrupt satellite operations, communications, navigation, and the distribution of electricity through power grids. These can lead to economic losses and can potentially endanger human life.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV