How to Play a Low VIX
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
The Feb VIX future has $2.55 of premium in it to VIX cash. Considering that future will expire before the debt talks swing into action it is a little rich. Even if the VIX cash is fairly priced (which I think it is for right now, albeit a touch high) future premium will erode. That is a perfect VXX time spread using puts. If you think VIX cash will launch between now and Feb expiration this is not the trade for you.
Trades: Buy to open 3 VXX Jan/Feb 26 put spreads for $1.10, or better.
I am looking for about $0.40 on the time spread, and if things go well you can sell the VXX Feb Weeklys against the position and Jan expiration.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Mark can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionPit
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV