Ex-W.Va. Mine Boss Seeks Leniency In Sentencing
By VICKI SMITH
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) â¿¿ A former superintendent at West Virginia's Upper Big Branch mine wants a judge to sentence him to home confinement or at least reduce his prison time when he pleads to a federal conspiracy charge next week.
Gary May is cooperating with prosecutors in their continuing criminal investigation of the April 2010 explosion that killed 29 miners at the former Massey Energy operation near Montcoal.
He's set to enter a plea Jan. 17 in U.S. District Court on charges he defrauded the federal government through his actions at the mine, which included disabling a methane gas monitor and falsifying records.Defense attorney Tim Carrico argued in court documents Monday that May is "deeply sorry" about the deaths but said there does not appear to be a direct link between his conduct and the worst U.S. coal mine disaster in four decades. Carrico wants Judge Irene Berger to impose less than the 15- to 21-month sentence that federal guidelines recommend. Alternatively, he asked that May be sent to a prison near his home in Bloomingrose. Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Ruby is pushing for a sentence at the high end of the federal guidelines because those recommendations don't account for the risk that May's actions created to miners' lives. He also asked Berger to consider a sentence above the recommended range. "Common sense dictates that when a defendant risks other people's lives and health, that fact must be accounted for in fashioning his sentence," Ruby argued. "To treat this conspiracy, with its risk of death or injury to others, like routine conspiracies whose risk is only financial would understate the seriousness of this offense." May's cooperation has been valuable so far, Ruby wrote, and it's possible that when the investigation is finished, it "will warrant a motion for downward departure."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV