Gold for February delivery was adding $10 to $1,656.30 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,659.80 and as low as $1,646.80 an ounce, while the spot price was improving $7.80, according to Kitco's gold index.
"The move up today looks like it's just a reaction from some news that imports for China and Hong Kong doubled in November, so obviously China's still buying quite a bit of gold even though they're still producing a lot of it themselves," said Chuck Butler, president of world markets at EverBank.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV