CHICAGO, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust today announced the start of a multi-year collaboration with Walgreen Co. (NYSE: WAG) to develop a best practice policy approach to corporate political activity oversight and disclosure.
"This agreement clearly demonstrates Walgreen's commitment to adopting corporate governance best practices by better aligning its interests with those of its shareholders," said Meredith Miller, Chief Corporate Governance Officer of the Trust. "The Trust applauds Walgreens for its responsiveness to our concerns about corporate political spending and lobbying and for agreeing to take the necessary steps to address what are often difficult issues for U.S. public companies."
The Trust anticipates that the agreement, which includes a multi-year commitment from Walgreens to work with the Trust on developing policy and reporting frameworks for corporate political and lobbying activity, will serve as a model for future corporate-shareholder engagements and may help shape future rules and regulations on these issues.
Thomas J. Sabatino, Jr., Executive Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, stated, "We are pleased to begin a dialogue with the Trust that is a model of both the shareholder and the company listening and learning from each other. This project came together easily, given Walgreen's commitment to responsible governance and disclosure practices. We appreciate how well-prepared the Trust team was for our engagement, as well as their interest in learning more about our business."The main components of the agreement include:
- A two-year commitment for a robust engagement between the parties on political spending and lobbying oversight and disclosure;
- A review of existing oversight processes at the board and management levels with respect to political and lobbying expenditures;
- Codifying internal processes for consideration of political and lobbying expenditures consistent with the company's best interests; and
- Developing a framework to review current and future memberships and participation in trade associations and other tax-exempt organizations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV