CHICAGO, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ComEd has launched a contest to award up to four customers within the communities that are part of the company's smart meter pilot program with free, smart home makeovers valued at nearly $45,000 each. The contest is called the "Smart Home Showcase," and will provide each winner with an energy efficiency overhaul of their home.
Winners will receive a collection of brand-new energy-efficient equipment including:
- Whirlpool ® brand smart appliances including a refrigerator, range, dishwasher, clothes washer and clothes dryer. These appliances are equipped with new convenience and control features, as well as energy-management technology that, for example, can make your fridge stop making ice during peak summer times when electricity prices are high.
- Electricity-generating solar panels and battery storage equipment installed by Intelligent Generation. These panels can help reduce energy use by generating and storing electricity for the home.
- A Nest ® Learning Thermostat ™ that learns from temperature-setting behaviors, preferences and surroundings to automatically create a custom heating and cooling schedule.
- An in-home-display to help monitor household electricity use in real-time, predict bill amounts and reduce consumption.
"Our state's energy efficiency programs are working to attract and expand businesses in Illinois, while saving consumers money on their energy bills," said Adam Pollet, acting director of the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. "Programs like ComEd's Smart Home Showcase contest are an important way to educate Illinois residents about how to conserve energy, save money and protect our environment."Once the new technologies are installed, ComEd will work to evaluate their impact on the winners' energy use, bill amounts and lifestyle. "This contest will help demonstrate the value that the smart grid will bring, in terms of giving customers greater control over their energy usage," said Mike McMahan, vice president of smart grid and technology, ComEd. "Smart appliances and thermostats, combined with smart meters, will help customers conserve energy and control costs without their intervention." The contest is open to customers who own single-family homes in the communities that are part of the company's smart meter pilot program*. Eligible customers must submit an essay of no more than 500 words explaining why they would benefit from a smart home makeover, a photo supporting their explanation, and statement indicating they have read and understand the contest rules to SmartHomeShowcase@ComEd.com. Entries will be accepted until Jan. 31, 2013. For more information on the Smart Home Showcase, including a complete list of eligibility requirements and official contest rules, please visit ComEd.com/SmartHome.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV