Californians Are In Deep Doo-doo
"If more than 88 percent [of homeowners] don't have policies, who's going to pay for the devastation if we have a big one?" asks Moraga. After Hurricane Katrina, the image of the federal government coming in as a knight in shining armor was shattered.
Homeowners should know that FEMA is fairly limited in what it can provide. Grants tap out at about $31,000, which is not likely enough to rebuild or repair substantial damage to a home; plus people not everyone will qualify.
Just because you lost your home and don't have insurance doesn't mean you will automatically receive a grant.
The Small Business Administration provides low-interest disaster loans, but those have to be paid back and are also determined by credit worthiness and income. If you already have a significant mortgage, you may not qualify for a substantial rebuilding loan.
In addition to having millions of people without homes or jobs, large parts of the country could come to a complete halt. A catastrophic earthquake in California would have a national impact including disruptions to supply lines, shock to financial markets and a drain on the insurance system."People may also believe that their family, friends, neighbors, or charity will take care of them, which may be true. Following Hurricane Sandy, millions were donated to the Red Cross to aid disaster victims. Of course, charity (and most friends and family) aren't going to buy you a new house," says Orma.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV