That was the biggest news nugget from Amarin CEO Joe Zakrzewski's presentation Monday at the J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference. The only other surprise (somewhat) was Zakrzewski's investor audience. It was sparse, as in empty seats at both his presentation and the following Q&A breakout session.
The J.P. Morgan confab is jam-packed with investors. The crowds here are really insane, especially on the first day, so to see a less than SRO crowd at a presentation is a bit odd. In Amarin's case, I think it's indicative of the Street's "show me" attitude towards the upcoming Vascepa launch. Without a Big Pharma partner, Amarin is not going to win any significant investor support unless/until it can put up impressive Vascepa sales numbers.
:Zakrzewski acknowledged as much during his breakout session when he asked investors to have patience with the Vascepa launch and not judge Amarin's commercial efforts too soon. He specifically mentioned the harsh reaction investors gave Vivus when early prescription numbers for its weight-loss pill Qsymia came in well below expectations.Amarin shares are down 11 cents to $8.59 in early Tuesday trading. The stock was up 3% Monday. Read more about Amarin's J.P. Morgan presentation and the reaction from investors and others on Twitter with this Appeering conversation thread: -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV