It's been a tough year for electronics retailer Best Buy (BBY). Shares of the $4 billion firm have slid 50% in the last year, pulled lower by thinning margins and a tough environment for retailers in general. But the selling may not yet be over -- at least in the short-term -- if the price pattern in shares holds up.
Right now, Best Buy is forming a descending triangle, a setup that's formed by horizontal support below shares and downtrending resistance to the upside. Essentially, as shares of BBY bounce in between those two technical levels, the stock is getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakdown below support. When that breakdown happens, investors have a sell signal for the stock. Best Buy's support level currently sits right at $11.
The descending triangle pattern in BBY is a shorter-term pattern -- it's only been forming for the last month and change. And while that means that the trading implications of the breakdown are shorter too, the combination of a descending triangle breakdown and a fall to new lows for BBY make the stock's downside potential much bigger if a slide below $11 does happen. Keep a close eye on this one.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV