NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Today I am profiling seven stocks in the multi-sector conglomerates sector that investors should consider as "buy and trade" candidates in 2013. If you are already long any of these stocks you should consider shifting from that old-fashioned "buy and hold" investment strategy to a "buy and trade" strategy to take advantage of up and down volatility that we will likely experience during earnings season.
It's not a question of market timing; it's the idea of adding to long positions on market weakness to a value level and to reduce long positions on strength to a risky level.
The multi-sector conglomerates sector is 3.6% overvalued and there are 13 of 16 sectors that are more overvalued as we enter the earnings season for fourth-quarter 2012 results. The seven companies I am profiling today report their earnings between Jan. 18 and Feb. 5, so we are on the alert for upgrades and downgrades between now and then.
I will show the current EPS estimates from Wall Street and then compare these numbers to more current estimates during the weeks these companies report.
All seven of these stocks are trading around their fair value prices between 6.1% undervalued and 7.8% overvalued and five of seven have buy ratings according to www.ValuEngine.com. One stock has been downgraded to hold from buy this morning. All seven have had solid performances over the last 12 months with gains between 17.2% and 38.5%. They are all expected to be higher 12 months from now but only by 3.5% to 7.0%. The 12-month trailing price-to-earnings ratios are reasonable between 11.5 and 18.5. All are above their 200-day simple moving averages so there is risk of a reversion to the mean in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV