NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Popular searches on the Internet include Virgin Atlantic Airways as the airline has appointed a new CEO.
Richard Branson's airline has appointed Craig Kreeger to the position; Kreeger comes from American Airlines, where he served as senior vice president. Kreeger will replace Steve Ridgway, who said this past September that he planned to retire. Ridgway has run Virgin Atlantic since 2001.
Ridgway will assist Kreeger in his transition to CEO until the end of February. Kreeger will be taking over as the airline enters a new phase, having just come to an agreement with Delta Air Lines (DAL) in which Delta will buy a 49% stake in the British carrier.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is trending as the retailer announced that its CEO Louis D'Ambrosio will step down. D'Ambrosio, who is said to be leaving for family health reasons, will be replaced by Edward Lampert. Lampert will take on the position in addition to his current role as chairman. Lampert will take over as Sears faces a series of sales declines. The company has been focused on a turnaround over the past year, cutting costs, closing stores and selling off assets. While shares have risen over 47% over the past year, more store closures and cutbacks have already been announced.
Eurozzone is another popular search. The rate of unemployment in the region hit a new high in November -- with 113,000 people losing their jobs. Unemployment rose to 11.8%, or 18.82 million people, according to the EU's statistics office Eurostat.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV