Silicon Image (NASDAQ: SIMG), a leading provider of HD connectivity solutions, today announced the availability of its ‘Archer’ reference design for the UltraGig™ 6400, a complete 60GHz WirelessHD® transmitter for mobile devices. Designed for simplified system integration, the small form-factor module contains all circuitry and firmware necessary to quickly add WirelessHD capability to smartphones and tablets. Manufacturers who embed the Archer module into their mobile platforms can accelerate their time-to-market with innovative new 60GHz enabled products capable of delivering high-definition wireless video connectivity between portable devices and large displays.
The Archer module consists of the UltraGig 6400 single chip transmitter with its intelligent beam-forming 60GHz RF transceiver, embedded antenna array, and WirelessHD 1.1 compliant network processor as well as all necessary external components on a single, flex-print cable module. A single high-density board-to-board connector allows for straightforward integration into form-factor compatible designs.
Key features and capabilities of the Archer module include:
- The UltraGig 6400 single chip, ultra-low power 60GHz Wireless HD transmitter with embedded antenna array
- Support for high-definition video resolutions up to 1080p full HD with multi-channel audio and ultra-low end-to-end system latency of less than 5ms
- A secure, high-bandwidth video link to WirelessHD 1.1 compliant receivers and displays, without interference from Wi-Fi-based solutions
- Small form-factor board-mounted connector with all required audio, video and control interfaces to popular mobile application processors
- Production-ready hardware design layout, drivers and embedded firmware to support direct motherboard integration
“The Archer module is an ideal solution for customers who want to add best-in-class 60GHz wireless video connectivity into their mobile devices,” said Jim Chase, director of marketing of the wireless division at Silicon Image, Inc. “This solution enables WirelessHD capable smartphones and tablets powered by the UltraGig 6400 to be developed quickly and with minimal design effort.”