LAS VEGAS ( TheStreet) - The glitz and glamor of Las Vegas is certainly an appropriate backdrop for the Consumer Electronics Show, as companies demonstrate their best and brightest products for the world to see.
From televisions to tablets, to smartphones and flying cars, CES 2013 has certainly been interesting, with companies clamoring to show off their new wares. Some firms offered creative ways to get their message across, from QR codes on business cards containing in-depth presentations to rubber bracelets containing NFC chips. Companies at CES are doing everything they can to woo consumers.
Here are three of the more interesting announcements/unveilings during the first day of CES:
1. SAMSUNGSamsung put on a brilliant show during its press event, and clearly has Apple (AAPL) on the brain, announcing several new stunning televisions. Samsung's new television sets for 2013 are not only beautiful, but allow for more connectivity and interaction with the devices than ever before. Samsung Smart TV provides more interaction with content and partners than any other TVs. The new Samsung flagship F8000 television is a sight to behold, with its LED screen and incredibly beautiful picture. The OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) TVs with built-in speaker systems look like a work of art. If Apple is going to make its own television, it has its work cut out. 2. NEST THERMOSTAT Even though Apple does its own product unveilings away from the frenzy of CES, it's clear the tech giant's on people's minds in Las Vegas. This was obvious when I visited Nest, which was showing off its new thermostat technology, and just so happens to get its inspiration from Apple. Founded by two former Apple employees, Tony Faddell and Matt Rogers, Nest offers a new take on the thermostat, helping consumers save money on their heating bills by regulating temperature via iOS and Android smartphones. Taking a page out of Apple's book, the thermostat is sleek looking and incredibly easy to use. Though Rogers wouldn't tell me how many customers Nest has, I can bet it's quite a few. This is one name to watch, for sure. 3. CES ITSELF As this is my first time at CES (and Las Vegas), I was taken aback at the sheer scale of the event, and also how well organized it is. Reports suggest that around 200,000 people have come from all over the world for the show. I was amazed to see everything run like clockwork, with minimal delays and no hitches. Bravo to the people at CES for continuing to put on amazing shows.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV