European stocks were rising. Asian shares ended Wednesday's session mostly higher. Japan's Nikkei 225 index gained 0.7% to close at 10,578.57.
There are no U.S. economic releases scheduled for Wednesday.
U.S. stocks on Tuesday slipped for the second straight day as investors waited on the sidelines for the unofficial start of the earnings season. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 55 points, or 0.41%, at 13,329. The blue-chip index posted its third day of losses in five sessions but remains up 3% since the start of the new year.
Aluminum giant Alcoa posted fourth-quarter revenue on Tuesday that topped analysts' expectations and it said it expected to be in good position for 2013 on global demand growth in the metal.
Dish Network (DISH) offered to acquire Clearwire (CLWR) for $3.30 a share, or $5.15 billion, topping a bid from Sprint (S) for the wireless service provider.
Apple (AAPL) is developing a low-cost iPhone for emerging markets for 2013, according to reports. It also was reported that Apple CEO Tim Cook made his second visit to China in less than a year and met with the country's ministry of industry and information technology.
Seagate Technology (STX), the disk drive maker, on Tuesday raised revenue guidance for the fiscal second quarter ended Dec. 28. Seagate said it expects quarterly revenue of at least $3.6 billion, higher than its previous forecast of about $3.5 billion.
An All Nippon Airways 787 flight in Japan was canceled Wednesday after the crew discovered an error message related to the plane's braking system, CNN reported. It's the third incident this week for the Boeing (BA) Dreamliner.
An interview with Lance Armstrong will air on Jan. 17 on Oprah Winfrey's network. It's the first TV interview Armstrong has given since he was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV