- We believe Internet companies will increasingly utilize their balance sheets for stock buybacks and dividends.
- Reflecting what we see as a decline in interest and confidence in iOS apps, following disappointment related to Maps and Siri, we see Apple making substantial commitments to improving its mobile software offerings.
- As Facebook looks to emphasize mobile and monetization more, and users become increasingly concerned about privacy issues, we see greater potential for "Facebook fatigue."
- We think Facebook will expand its Gifts offering and make e-commerce and perhaps payments more of a priority.
- With the FTC's inquiry into Google having ended, we believe the company will become more proactive with acquisitions in terms of size and volume.
- We believe Google will continue to invest in its enterprise business, with new offerings and features.
- We think Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has made many good decisions but we believe it will take time for the financials to follow suit. We think a lot of the positives are already priced into the stock.
- We don't expect Alibaba Group to come public or even announce a planned offering in 2013, to the chagrin of Yahoo investors.
- We see divestitures of non-core businesses, investments, and products as an important theme, as Internet companies look to focus their resources and simplify their operating structures.
- Repeating a prediction from last year, we believe cyber security will become an even more important issue in 2013.
- We think 2013 will be more challenging for online travel companies and stocks, reflecting more mature businesses and substantial competition.
- We think CEOs at ValueClick and WebMD appointed in 2012 will help deliver value for shareholders in 2013.
- We believe that announced planned data center and network investments will enable EarthLink to become more of a nationally known and successful technology service provider.
S&P Capital IQ Equity Research Issues 2013 Internet Predictions
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts