NEW YORK (TheStreet) - AT&T (T) boss Ralph de la Vega took the stage this morning at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas to keynote what's new for 2013. He talked about lots of new services - but only one new smartphone.
For instance, AT&T's "U-verse" cable TV service. First of all, subscribers will soon have access to instant playback of thousands of movies on their TVs (Channel 9910) or via the Uverse.com app for tablets and smartphones. Think in terms of a Netflix (NFLX)-type service for AT&T users.
But, unlike Netflix, AT&T will offer the new deal "U-verse Screen Pack" for only $5 per month. Previews start today and run through Sunday, Jan.13.
How about another U-verse app called "Twonky Beam" which lets you play a (compatible) video clip from your smartphone to a larger TV screen in your home? Or "Pix & Flix" which lets you share photos from your phone?Or new deals for developers? Plus, an extension of the "It Can Wait" program which highlights the dangers of texting while driving? Then there's AT&T's Digital Life Home Security and Automation service. It lets you control everything from your thermostat to door and window locks from anywhere your smartphone can connect to the Internet. There'll be several package options. The service will begin rolling out in eight markets beginning in March. And finally a phone. The Pantech Discover. Big 4.8-inch touchscreen (720 by 1280 pixels), 12.6 megapixel camera and 3D/stereo speakers. Looks great on paper. Priced right, too. AT&T will start selling the Discover on Jan. 11 for only $50 with a proper two-year contract/ --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV