LOS ANGELES, Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Adults who resolve to be physically fit this year—such as runners preparing for the Allstate Life Insurance Los Angeles 13.1 Marathon and 5K on January 13—should be sure to carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage on their car. Why? Because if a pedestrian or cyclist carries uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) on their personal auto, the cost of recovery from injuries or losses as a result of being hit by this type of driver, even while exercising outdoors, can be covered, subject to policy terms and definitions.
As recently as 2010 there were more than 2,000 pedestrians in California injured by hit-and-run drivers.* In Los Angeles County, nearly one out of four vehicles does not carry insurance**.
"Everyone's safety along our streets must remain a priority," says Phil Telgenhoff, Allstate Field Vice President in California, "People who exercise outdoors or train for events like the Allstate Half-Marathon in Los Angeles should strongly consider purchasing this coverage.""It's important for drivers and athletes alike to know that uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is a small fraction of their total auto insurance premium—generally less than 10 percent," he says. "Its benefits extend far beyond what may happen only while they're at the wheel." Allstate recommends all drivers—and especially those who are regularly using or crossing streets to maintain their physical fitness—to contact their insurance agent or company and ensure that their auto policy includes UM/UIM coverage. Allstate also offers these tips for active people to stay streetwise:
- Be visible; wear bright, reflective clothing that increases your visibility to drivers.
- Signal your intentions to change course clearly and well in advance.
- Be considerate—at the right time. When a vehicle yields the right of way, signal thanks only after you've passed. If you signal before passing, it may be confused as a signal for the driver to proceed instead.
- Even if a car recently passed you, know that its driver may not recall that you're nearby when s/he begins to turn. Expect the unexpected, keep your composure, and always avoid road rage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV