Obama Nominates Hagel as Defense Secretary, Brennan as CIA Director
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- President Barack Obama announced fresh nominations for the next U.S. defense secretary and director of the Central Intelligence Agency.
The president confirmed in a press conference that he would be nominating former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R., Neb.) as defense secretary and counterterrorism adviser John Brennan as CIA director.
Earlier reports of Hagel's possible nomination ignited furor among Republicans and other special interest groups who brought into question the former senator's remarks regarding Jewish and gay-rights groups.
Brennan served in the CIA for 25 years, and in 2008 withdrew from consideration for the head post of the CIA when critics questioned his interrogation techniques used during former President George W. Bush's administration, according to The Associated Press.-- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV