LAS VEGAS, Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Walmart is making it easier and more enjoyable for movie fans to watch their favorite movies when and where they want. Today at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the retailer announced it is expanding its in-store Disc-to-Digital service to provide customers with digital versions of their previously purchased movies from the comfort of their home. Walmart will also be launching a new Facebook app that will give people access to exclusive movie content and the power to influence and shape what movies are sold in-store and online.
"From Smartphones to Smart TVs, our customers are consuming and sharing content more than ever," said John Aden, executive vice president for general merchandising, Walmart U.S. "We see a great opportunity to provide our customers with accessible and affordable tools to help them bring their movie collections into the digital age. In addition to Disc-to-Digital, Walmart's new Entertainment Facebook app will give movie fans a starring role by serving as place for them to share, interact with and choose the movies they want to see in our stores and online – ultimately enhancing the way people watch and enjoy movies."
Walmart Entertainment's Disc-to-Digital Service, Powered by VUDU Starting this month, watching DVD and Blu-ray movies from compatible Internet-connected devices will get even easier. Walmart's industry-leading video streaming service, VUDU, will soon have the capability to convert previously purchased DVD/Blu-ray movies to UltraViolet digital copies. UltraViolet is a free, cloud-based digital library that gives users greater flexibility with how and where they watch the movies and TV shows they purchase.
Customers need to simply take the following steps:
- Visit http://www.VUDU.com and download the VUDU To Go App for Macs and PCs.
- Search for previously-purchased movies from participating studio partners – DreamWorks Animation, Lionsgate, MGM Studios, Paramount Home Media Distribution, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.
- Select how you would like the movies converted:
- Convert a standard DVD or Blu-ray movie for $2; or,
- Upgrade a standard DVD to an HD digital copy for $5.
- The VUDU To Go App will authorize the digital UltraViolet copies and place them in your VUDU account. No upload is necessary, and customers get to keep their physical discs.
- Log onto VUDU.com to view movies any time, any place from any of the more than 300 Internet-connected devices supported by VUDU.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts