Gas Leak Leaves 8 Dead In Turkish Coal Mine
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) â¿¿ A gas leak inside a coal mine in northern Turkey killed eight workers Monday, Turkish officials said.
The miners were working on opening up space to reach a coal deposit when they were hit by a sudden methane gas discharge, Burhan Inan, the head of Turkey's coal mining authority, told Turkish state television TRT.
Eight workers died from breathing the gas or getting trapped under coal dust that blanketed the mine after the discharge. One worker was rescued with injuries, and six others were evacuated unharmed, Inan said.
The accident in Zonguldak province, on the Black Sea coast, comes at a time when Turkey is trying to improve safety conditions in its mines. The government has been shutting down dangerous mines or those operating without proper licenses.Turkey's most deadly mine disaster occurred in 1992, when a gas explosion killed some 270 workers in Zonguldak.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV