Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Investors need safe places to put their money on down days like today, Jim Cramer told "Mad Money" viewers Monday, as he kicked off a weeklong series of top investing trends for 2013.
Cramer said these trends will be the rising tides that lift all boats and will be the safe places to invest as Washington will likely dominate the headlines again soon.
Cramer's first investing theme for 2013? The return of banking.He said after years of fighting to survive, the banks have finally raised enough capital and have dealt with their bad loans, making them once again investable. As the cloud begins to lift on the sector, Cramer said those in the strongest position will be the regional banks such as First Horizon (FHN) and BB&T (BBT). His favorite regional player remains KeyCorp (KEY), a stock he owns for his charitable trust,
Executive DecisionIn the "Executive Decision" segment, Cramer spoke with Dr. Francois Nader, president and CEO of NPS Pharmaceuticals (NPSP), an orphan-drug maker that's popped 31% after Cramer first recommended it in September. Since then shares have pulled back and Cramer's taking a second look as the company prepares to present its latest data on Wednesday. Nader commented on the price tag of his company's most recent drug, which treats a condition known as short bowel syndrome afflicting only 3,000 to 5,000 patients in the U.S. The treatment, which weighs in at just under $300,000 a year, is actually a tremendous value, said Nader, as it currently costs almost $600,000 a year for patients to stay at the hospital and receive what can be 12 hours a day of IV nutritional supplements.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV