NEW YORK (TheStreet) - News, this morning, coming from Las Vegas, where the Consumer Electronics Show begins in earnest tomorrow.
Time Warner Cable (TWC) has announced a new application made specifically for Roku boxes that will allow owners to stream TWC's Cable TV service to a TV monitor. That means your Roku box will soon be able to replace your Cable TV box.
It's a first for Time Warner. Up until now the cable giant has never allowed its programming to be handled by someone else's TV connected box. It could be the first of Time Warner (and maybe other cable providers') apps for game consoles and other video devices - such as, possibly, Apple (AAPL) TV.
The Time Warner "channel" for Roku devices is expected to go live in the first quarter of 2013.And, if that's not enough big news from Roku today, it has also announced a bunch of new content channels coming soon. Nine new streams including News Corp's (NWS)Fox Now, PBS, Syfy, Blockbuster On Demand and more. Those are in addition to a number of recently added music providers, including Clear Channel's (CCO) iHeart Radio, Spotify and Amazon's (AMZN) Cloud Player, as well as a number of new gaming channels. Keep up with the latest news coming out of CES with TheStreet's live blog: --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV