NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It's a thrill to watch journalist Andrew Sullivan break away from big media companies and launch his own reader-supported, ad-free venture to continue the work that has made him so famous and successful as a true independent.
The dawn of the digital age has generally been tough on professional content producers because the Internet has disrupted many of the traditional business models that supported their livelihood. The great promise of the web, though, has always been that it will ultimately enable talented content producers to break free from the corrupting influence of the handful of giant media conglomerates that have long had a stranglehold on access to mass audiences. This cutting out of the middle-man will ultimately lead to a more direct connection between audiences and creators and more quality content.
Sullivan is one of the few figures in journalism who can pull off such a stunt now, so it may be overly optimistic to call this the beginning of a trend towards this ideal, but I hope it is. We are in dire need of mainstream, popular journalists who can achieve pure financial and editorial independence. Judging by the early results of Sullivan's foray, he's well on his way to achieving that.
Sullivan announced last week that he's leaving Newsweek/Daily Beast, and its corporate overlord
(IACI), and launching his own company called Dish Publishing LLC. This means that his popular blog --
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV