DALLAS, Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today unveiled the industry's first family of fully integrated analog front ends (AFEs) for photometry. The new analog integrated circuits (ICs) support TI HealthTech's vision for helping engineers design innovative electronics for transforming healthcare worldwide. The AFE44xx family integrates all the front end components and associated timing control circuitry of a typical photometry solution. Applications include clinical and home health pulse oximeters, photometry-based blood glucose meters, and photoplethysmograph-based (PPG) heart rate monitors. The AFE44xx family will be showcased at CES 2013 in the TI Village, North Hall, in the Las Vegas Convention Center.
By incorporating fully programmable transmitter and receiver circuits into one device, the AFE44xx family reduces end equipment manufacturers' design time, board space and need for in-house analog design expertise compared to discrete solutions. With less than 1-mA supply current, the AFE44xx family consumes less power than discrete solutions, which results in longer battery life. The AFE44xx family enables optimal measurement performance, even in ambient light settings.
With its high level of integration and low power, the AFE44xx family enables smaller, more portable traditional photometry solutions, as well as the new emerging market of wireless and smart connected pulse oximeter accessories. Available in the AFE44xx family are the AFE4490, targeted at clinical applications; and the AFE4400, targeted for home health applications. For information, samples and evaluation modules (EVMs), visit www.ti.com/afe4400-pr.
Key features and benefits
- Faster time to market and smaller form factor: The AFE44xx family's receive path includes a programmable transimpedance amplifier (TIA), ambient cancellation circuitry and analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The transmit path incorporates the LED driver and programmable 8-bit current source of up to 150 mA. With both transmit and receive paths integrated into a single device, less time and board space is required to design with the device.
- Low power: The AFE44xx family consumes less than 1 mA of power, to extend battery life.
- Simple diagnostics for easier design and debugging: The AFE44xx family's open/short detection features make it easier for engineers to diagnose system errors during design.
- Reduced demand on system software: The AFE44xx family provides a flexible integrated timing controller module that significantly reduces the demands and overhead on system software.
- Download the datasheet and order samples at www.ti.com/afe4400-pr.
- Order the AFE4490 or AFE4400 EVM at www.ti.com/afe4400evm-pr.
- Learn more about the AFE44xx family by watching the video at www.ti.com/afe4400video-pr.
- View TI's technical and product information for a variety of consumer medical and home healthcare applications, including: heart rate and fitness monitoring systems, blood glucose and other diagnostic meters, blood pressure monitors, and digital thermometers and download TI's HealthTech Guide: www.ti.com/healthtech.
- Learn more about TI's full portfolio for medical applications www.ti.com/healthtech.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV