Intel, which hosts a CES press event later today, has kept its news under wraps. Rumors have swirled about a set-top box announcement, a focus on the company's latest Atom processors, and the new breed of super-skinny laptops known as ultrabooks.
"Ultrabooks were one of the more prolific product categories at last year's CES," Canaccord Genuity analyst Bobby Burleson said in a recent note. "We expect Intel to highlight the newer touch-enabled convertible hybrid designs at this CES and also expect Intel to showcase their new low power Atom processors targeted at Win 8 tablets."
Canaccord Genuity has a "buy" rating on Intel.Launched late last year, Intel's Z2760 Atom processor, code-named "Clover Trail" is a low-power offering aimed at the market for Microsoft (MSFT) Windows 8 tablets from the likes of Dell (DELL) and HP (HPQ). Rick Sherlund, an analyst at Nomura, agrees that Intel is likely to focus attention on its new processor when it meets with analysts at CES on Monday. "We would expect there to be an emphasis on Intel's new and strategically important Clover Trail processor for tablets, including successor Bay Trail," he wrote, in a recent note. "Clover Trail chips have had some issues getting to market and largely missed the holiday season." Sherlund notes, however, that with power management modifications to the chip now out of the way, he expects shipments to ramp up in January. "We expect to see some new Clover Trail based tablets running Windows 8 that would be featured by Intel, along with other new Windows 8 devices," he wrote. The analyst points out that rival chip maker Nvidia (NVDA) is boosting efforts around its next-generation Tegra 4 offering, which was announced at CES early on Monday. "We also wonder when Microsoft may refresh the Surface RT tablet to run the new Tegra 4 chip, as well as potentially updating [the] Surface Pro [tablet] to run on Clover Trail," he added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV