Last year at CES, Samsung introduced a refrigerator -- a $3,500 refrigerator -- that runs several popular apps, including Pandora. Aside from Netflix (NFLX), you cannot find a company that achieved ubiquity faster.
Both companies secured placement on dozens of consumer electronics, from streaming players to remote controls and beyond.
While Pandora was likely cautious on its last report -- a beat for the November, December, January quarter would not surprise me -- its stock does not trade on the basis of a business outlook. No doubt, it dropped on disappointing guidance with its most recent report, but, again, it refuses to stay down. Ultimately, it trades on noise. Almost every time a competing service gets announced the stock takes a hit. Samsung announced one. Pandora went down. Lowly Nokia (NOK) and Research in Motion (RIMM) came to with feeble offerings. Pandora dropped. Then, of course, there's Richard Greenspare of BTIG Media who is due any day now for a cautious mention on P (that's what Briefing.com always calls them). With guys like that unfortunate parts of the conversation, you can never know what to expect. Rumors of a streaming radio product from Apple (AAPL) have hit Pandora harder than any other. While I don't see the sense in Apple getting into Pandora's business -- it's better off seeking a partnership to integrate Pandora or another existing service into iTunes -- a credible person or two tells me it's only "a matter of time" before it happens.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV