JERSEY CITY, N.J., Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Optimer Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: OPTR) today provided an update on 2012 sales for DIFICID (fidaxomicin) tablets, an antibacterial drug launched in July 2011 for the treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD) in adults 18 years of age or older in the United States. Preliminary 2012 gross product sales in the United States and Canada totaled $74.4 million. Preliminary gross product sales for the fourth quarter of 2012 were $21.3 million in the United States and Canada.
"We ended 2012 experiencing solid growth in fourth quarter DIFICID sales after introducing strategic initiatives to increase patient access to DIFICID and accelerate product adoption. Treatments shipped increased by over 14% from the third quarter," said Pedro Lichtinger, President and CEO of Optimer. "We believe the early response to our new strategy is very encouraging. Hospital contracting, among other efforts, appears to be having a positive impact. We are particularly encouraged by increased DIFICID use in hospitals that our sales force is targeting, and by the number of hospitals that are initiating a review of DIFICID's formulary position."
Preliminary 2012 DIFICID Commercial ResultsOptimer estimates DIFICID gross sales in the United States and Canada for the three months ended December 31, 2012 were $21.3 million, an increase of over 14.4% versus the prior quarter. For the twelve months ended December 31, 2012, preliminary gross sales increased to $74.4 million from $24.4 million in 2011. Preliminary gross-to-net for the fourth quarter of 2012 is anticipated to be in the 21.0% to 21.5% range. Inventory levels at wholesalers remain within the range of 14 to 28 days of demand. DIFICID Co-Pay Assistance Program Optimer today announced that it is launching a Co-Pay Assistance Program for commercially insured patients.
- Provides up to $200 toward a patient's out of pocket cost for one prescription of up to 20 tablets per calendar year. Restrictions and conditions apply, including:
- Does not cover refills
- Patients that have any part of their prescription paid by any state of federally funded programs, including but not limited to, Medicare, Medicaid, Medigap, Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense, TriCare, or where otherwise prohibited by law, are not eligible
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV