NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With the Consumer Electronics Show about to get underway in Las Vegas, Nvidia (NVDA) was a gainer in premarket trading after unveiling its latest chip and a new offering for gamers.
Early on Monday, Nvidia announced its Tegra 4 offering, which it is touting as the world's fastest mobile processor. Nvidia also announced "Project Shield," which it describes as "a gaming portable for open platforms." The device can play both Google (GOOG) Android and PC games, although Nvidia has not yet revealed pricing and availability details.
Nvidia shares, which closed up 3.3% on Friday, gained 2.28% to reach $13.45 in premarket trading.
Shares of rival chipmaker Intel (INTC), which will host its own press event at CES later Monday, crept up 0.43% to $21.25 before market open.Away from the CES brouhaha, Amazon (AMZN) was a major gainer on Monday, rising 2.32% to $265.17, while Yahoo! (YHOO) slipped 1.81% to $19.50. Shares of Apple (AAPL), which eschews CES, dipped 0.32% to $525.3 in premarket trading after closing down 2.78% during the last trading session on Friday. Microsoft (MSFT), which has opted not to deliver its traditional keynote at CES this year, saw its shares edge up 0.19% to $26.79 before market open. Facebook (FB) was a modest gainer in premarket trading, rising 0.35% to $28.86. TheStreet will be live-blogging CES, starting at 9:30 a.m. EST. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV