The electric vehicle charging equipment market is experiencing rapid growth, along with the growing pains that can be expected with any new market. Driven by the full commercialization of the plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) market over the last 18 months, the charging equipment market (more commonly known as the electric vehicle supply equipment, or EVSE, market) has also reached a new stage of maturity. According to a new Pike Pulse report published by Pike Research, a part of Navigant’s Energy Practice, ChargePoint (formerly Coulomb Technologies) and DBT currently lead the market with high marks for both strategy and execution.
“There has been an influx of new players into the EVSE space, indicating the promise that many companies see in the market,” says senior research analyst Lisa Jerram. “This sector is still very young, however, and a large number of players are competing for a relatively small total market. At this stage, it is not surprising that most of the vendors listed in this Pike Pulse are still ranked as Contenders.”
Both ChargePoint and DBT are ranked as Leaders because they have secured a significant level of market share, operate in a range of critical geographic markets (giving them the opportunity to become truly global leaders), offer a wide range of feature-rich EVSE products, and demonstrate a focus on competing successfully in the next phase of the EVSE market. The Contenders category includes many large conglomerates that have entered the EVSE space to complement their existing businesses, including Eaton, Efacec, General Electric, Leviton, Schneider Electric, and Siemens. At the same time, a group of smaller, more focused companies, including ECOtality and ClipperCreek, have captured higher market share than the major industrial players, but they will need additional resources to effectively compete if the EVSE market continues its slow growth pattern.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV