By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected heavy buying in the April 22 calls about halfway through Friday afternoon, with some 2,000 contracts initially bought for 25 cents. Traders continued to pile in later in the session, pushing total volume to 3,964 at the strike --almost triple the previous open interest, indicating that this was new activity.
Calls lock in the price where investors can purchase stock, so they can generate some nice leverage if the shares rally. That's exactly what happened on Friday as those calls inflated to 35 cents by the end of the session, a gain of about 40% versus a much smaller move in the share price.Questar, which focuses on pipelines and storage in the western United States, closed the session up 2.34% to $20.97. Earlier in the week, its much larger peer Williams saw heavy activity in the August contracts as an investor looked to generate big leverage from a steady gain in the share price. Total option volume in Questar was 15 times greater than average in the session. Calls outnumbered puts by a bullish 112 to 1. Russell has no positions in STR or WMB.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV