Today, DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) introduced the DISH Explorer™ app for iPad, an intuitive second-screen app for the Hopper™ Whole-Home HD DVR platform that combines program-discovery tools, social media engagement and remote-control capabilities.
“Customers are already using tablets while watching TV but, until Explorer, it had been two separate experiences,” said Vivek Khemka, vice president of Product Management at DISH. “What we’ve done is develop an integrated, seamless experience between the tablet and the television; only the Hopper creates an entirely new viewing dynamic.”
Available tomorrow, DISH Explorer expands the functionality of the Hopper by allowing customers to:
- Discover popular and trending shows, including sporting events, across hundreds of live-TV channels, DVR recordings and on-demand programs;
- Engage with fans of the same show over Twitter and Facebook using the iPad;
- Control the Hopper from an iPad, including channel guide navigation and DVR management;
- Search live TV, DVR and on-demand programs using iPad’s keyboard instead of the remote control.
The new app recommends shows and reveals popular programs by cross-referencing social media television viewing trends and real-time viewership data from DISH’s customer base.DISH Explorer allows customers to connect with the social media community about their favorite shows. Using the app, customers can log in to Twitter and Facebook and, in real-time, comment and track posts from fans of the shows they are watching. For the sports enthusiast, Explorer incorporates Thuuz™ ratings to identify the hottest games on TV and provides viewers with real-time sports stats when watching live events on the Hopper. The Explorer’s view into trending data can signal sporting events that are quickly becoming ‘must see’ events. “The Thuuz ratings on Explorer means sports fans can quickly see the potential no-hitters, the shut-outs and the upsets forming live before the sports recap on the evening news,” said Khemka. “Seeing the big events live is always better and Explorer helps deliver that experience.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts