Will Retailers Start Charging For The Privilege Of Paying With Plastic?
What makes residents of these states special? Well, each state has a law on the books prohibiting retailers from charging checkout fees, and those laws apparently supersede the new court settlement.
Reach for the cash or stick with the credit card?
For the rest of us who live elsewhere in the country, we'll need to decide if the convenience of credit cards will trump the cost of checkout fees.
Not all retailers will charge the fees which may make them easy to avoid. In addition, perks from a good cash back rewards card could potentially offset the price of a checkout fee. And if you're short on cash, even at 3 percent, the checkout fee for a $3 latte would only be nine cents.
Of course, it's not just consumers grappling with how to proceed with the fees. News reports indicate checkout fees won't likely be lurking around every corner as retailers weigh whether the money they recoup is worth potentially driving customers to their competitors. After all, customers have plenty of choices when it comes to spending their money. And for every McDonalds, there is usually a Burger King located just down the road.While checkout fees seem like one more way consumers are being nickel and dimed by businesses and banks, don't assume you are helpless. Remember you can always try to negotiate down the fee, which may be more effective for large purchases. And if that fails, let your feet do the talking as you take your credit card - and business - to another store.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV