Merkel Highlights Economy in German Election Year
In Lower Saxony, polls show the FDP short of the 5% support needed to stay in the state legislature, which endangers popular conservative governor David McAllister's chances of keeping his job.
However, Merkel said she is "very optimistic that the (Free Democrats) will, on their own strength, with their ideas and their share in the success of the work of both the Lower Saxony state government and the federal government, be able to convince people."
The Lower Saxony election follows a rough start for Merkel's center-left challenger in the national elections, former Finance Minister Peer Steinbrueck.
He drew criticism this week for saying the chancellor earns too little and that Merkel has an advantage because she's a woman -- adding to earlier controversy over his high earnings from public speaking. Merkel coolly dismissed a question about her challenger's performance."To be honest, I take care of my own performance and I'm very satisfied with that," she said. "The rest is for others to comment on."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV