New AARP Survey Reveals The Superstorm Sandy Struggles Of New York's 50+
"New Yorkers are tough and always willing to step up to the plate to help those in need in the face of a disaster like Sandy," added Finkel. "AARP was glad to be able to join with that spirit and provide some financial assistance to organizations dedicated to aiding those affected by the storm."
The AARP Foundation donated over $350,000 in New York to organizations helping with storm relief, and over $1.4 million across the region.
With utility companies in New York now eyeing rate hikes in the wake of the storm, AARP also gauged the population in regards to utility prices in state finding:
- Over one quarter reported difficulty paying their electric bill;
- 69% said their elected officials weren't doing enough to protect people affected by rising energy costs;
- 73.2% believed their interests aren't taken into consideration when rate increases for gas and electric are proposed; and
- 76.7% said they thought New York needed to establish an independent consumer advocate office to represent them in rate cases before the Public Service Commission, with nearly 60% supporting Governor Cuomo including the issue in his upcoming budget address.
Establishing an independent consumer advocate office in New York will be a priority for AARP in the coming legislative session.The full survey is available at: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3IY8WmqQATeYW9WR1FjUVBmaXM Follow us on Twitter: @AARPNY and Facebook: AARP New York AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with a membership that helps people 50+ have independence, choice and control in ways that are beneficial and affordable to them and society as a whole. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to either political campaigns or candidates. We produce AARP The Magazine, the definitive voice for 50+ Americans and the world's largest-circulation magazine with over 35.1 million readers; AARP Bulletin, the go-to news source for AARP's millions of members and Americans 50+; AARP VIVA, the only bilingual U.S. publication dedicated exclusively to the 50+ Hispanic community; and our website, AARP.org. AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. We have staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. SOURCE AARP
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV