A.M. Best Co. has assigned a debt rating of “bbb+” to the 40-year $500 million 5.10% fixed-to-floating subordinated debentures recently issued by The Allstate Corporation (Allcorp) (Northbrook, IL) [NYSE: ALL]. The assigned outlook is stable. All existing ratings of Allcorp and its subsidiaries are unchanged.
The assigned rating recognizes Allstate Insurance Group’s (Allstate) solid risk-adjusted capitalization, generally favorable operating performance and significant market presence. The rating also is indicative of A.M. Best’s view of the group’s near-term earnings prospects when considering its strong overall business profile as the second-largest personal lines writer in the United States. As of third quarter 2012, Allcorp’s debt-to-capital and debt-to-tangible capital ratios were 25.4% and 26.7%, respectively, and the company continues to maintain a fixed interest coverage ratio that is supportive of its ratings.
The methodology used in determining these ratings is Best’s Credit Rating Methodology, which provides a comprehensive explanation of A.M. Best’s rating process and contains the different rating criteria employed in the rating process. Key criteria utilized include: “Understanding BCAR for Property/Casualty Insurers”; “Insurance Holding Company and Debt Ratings”; “Catastrophe Analysis in A.M. Best Ratings”; “Rating Members of Insurance Groups”; “Equity Credit for Hybrid Securities”; and “Risk Management and the Rating Process for Insurance Companies.” Best’s Credit Rating Methodology can be found at www.ambest.com/ratings/methodology.
Founded in 1899, A.M. Best Company is the world's oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com.Copyright © 2013 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV