Another stock that's trending very close to triggering a near-term breakout trade is Genomic Health (GHDX), which is engaged in the development and commercialization of genomic-based clinical laboratory services that analyze the underlying biology of cancer, allowing physicians and patients to make individualized treatment decisions. This stock has been trashed by the sellers during the last three months, with shares off by 23%.
If you look at the chart for Genomic Health, you'll notice that this stock gapped down big in November from close to $33 a share to a low of $25.25 a share with heavy downside volume. Following that gap lower, shares of GHDX then went on to enter a sideways trading pattern between $26.33 on the downside and $28.59 on the upside. A high-volume move above the upper-end of that sideways trading pattern will now push shares of GHDX into breakout territory and into that previous gap down zone.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in GHDX if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $28.57 to $28.59 a share and then once it clears its 50-day moving average of $28.60 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that registers near or above its three-month average action of 252,292 shares. If that breakout hits soon, then GHDX will set up to re-fill its previous gap down zone from November that started near $33 a share. A possible first target for GHDX if it gets into that gap is its 200-day moving average at $31.93 a share.Traders can look to buy GHDX off any weakness and simply use a stop that sits close to some near-term support levels at $26.78 to $26.33 a share. One can also buy off strength once GHDX takes out those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits right around $26.78 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV