ADL Voices Ongoing Concerns About Al Jazeera Following Pan-Arab Network's Acquisition Of Current TV
NEW YORK, Jan. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has ongoing concerns about the pan-Arab satellite network Al Jazeera, which it says has "a troubling record" of providing a platform to all manner of virulent anti- Israel and even anti-Semitic extremists and of serving as a propaganda tool against the State of Israel, particularly in its Arabic-language broadcasts.
While it is true that Al Jazeera has toned down its anti- Israel propaganda in the network's English broadcasts, ADL said the Arabic-language channel's content "continues to be of great concern." The League voiced those concerns following the Qatar-based network's acquisition of Current TV in a deal which will provide unprecedented access for the network's English-language programming to a potential audience of millions of viewers in the United States.
Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director, issued the following statement:
Al Jazeera, whose major broadcast focus is in the Arab world, has a troubling record and history that is very disturbing, particularly in its Arabic language broadcasts. It has exploited and exaggerated the Arab- Israel conflict in a heavy-handed and propagandistic manner, and always at the expense of Israel, while giving all manner of virulent anti- Israel and even anti-Semitic extremists access to its airwaves. However, in its English version lately Al Jazeera has toned down its anti- Israel propaganda. Yet it continues to be of great concern. We will be watching and monitoring the broadcasts as they become available to a much wider audience in the United States.
The Anti-Defamation League, founded in 1913, is the world's leading organization fighting anti-Semitism through programs and services that counteract hatred, prejudice and bigotry.SOURCE Anti-Defamation League
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV